The History of the AzACS Chapter
In November of 1950, R. W. Rudolph, MD, FACS, sent a letter from Tucson, Arizona to the American College of Surgeons concerning the formation of an Arizona chapter. In November of 1950, H. P. Saunders, MD, FACS, then Associate Director of the ACS, responded with a preliminary draft of proposed bylaws. In April of 1951, Dr. Saunders then sent a letter to all Arizona Fellows inviting them to an organizational meeting.
Following the organizational meeting of 16 surgeons in May of 1951, E. Payne Palmer notified the College of the events at the meeting. Meade Clyne, MD, FACS was elected President, Norman Ross, MD, FACS, was elected Vice-president and Clyde Flood, MD, FACS was elected Secretary/Treasurer. Chapter by-laws were adopted on October 10, 1951. Later that year the Board of Regents approved the Chapter. On February 13, 1952, Charter #20 was issued for the State of Arizona.
E. Payne Palmer, Sr., MD, FACS, was the first fellow of the College from Arizona. He was a pioneer surgeon in the Phoenix area and represented Arizona surgeons as governor for nearly three decades.
Arizona has seen massive growth in the five decades since the 1950's. The Arizona Chapter has also grown from the original 16 members to over 1000 members, of which over 600 are active members.
Some FACS members are not members of the Arizona Chapter. Officers of the Chapter hope that this web site will encourage more communication with these surgeons and encourage them to join the Arizona Chapter and participate in the Chapter's activities.